ANNOUNCEMENT Paris, 19th March
Occupational exposure to hazardous drugs: European Scientific Advisory Board “CytoPrevent” launched to improve healthcare workers’ protection
Today, scientific experts from several countries announce the creation of CytoPrevent, a group dedicated to make proposals and recommendations to ensure that the highest protection measures become standard for healthcare workers handling, preparing or administering hazardous drugs.
This multidisciplinary initiative aims to raise awareness among European policymakers and recommend new measures to prevent contamination risks or make them “as low as reasonably achievable”. The CytoPrevent group involves scientists, pharmacists, doctors, nurses, who express their common views through open and independent discussions.
They want to contribute positively to current discussions on the amendment of the Directive 2004/37/EC5 2004 (Carcinogens and Mutagens Directive, CMD) and its transposition into Member States’ legislation by 2022. They consider it as very important to enlight the debate, with the purpose to provide all healthcare workers in Europe a safe working environment, especially regarding exposure to hazardous drugs.
CytoPrevent members are also available to participate and share their expertise in working groups designated at European and national level to improve occupational conditions of healthcare workers handling hazardous drugs.
To date, CytoPrevent Advisory Board consists of:
Chairman: Dr. Paul Sessink, Exposure Control Sweden
- Seth Eisenberg, Registered Nurse, Professional Practice Coordinator, infusion services at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Ambulatory Clinic, United States
- Matthew Fowler, Advanced Clinical Practitioner in Oncology and Haematology at University Hospitals Birmingham, UK (EONS Member)
- Fred Massoomi, Pharm.D., Senior Director at Visante, Inc., USA
- Hélène Levert, Hospital Pharmacist at University Hospital Saint-Louis in Paris, France
- Luis Mazón Cuadrado, Risk Prevention Department, Fuenlabrada University Hospital, Spain
- Florent Puisset, Pharmacist at Toulouse Oncopole, France
- Alison Simons, Oncology Nurse, Senior Lecturer at Birmingham City University, UK
- Samantha Toland, Lead Chemotherapy nurse and Senior Lecturer, Birmingham City University, UK
- Sylvie Crauste-Manciet, Pharmacist, Bordeaux University Hospital, France
To read the original document, click here.